The APRA Music Grants Programme helps to fund the CANZ Nelson Composers Workshop
About Composers Association of New ZealanD
The Composers Association of New Zealand is an organisation of mostly professional and amateur composers, as well as other supportive institutions.
CANZ maintains contact with organisations such as SOUNZ (The Centre for NZ Music), the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Radio New Zealand Concert, Recorded Music NZ, Creative New Zealand, APRA AMCOS and the Government.
- CANZ are members of international organisations, such as the Asian Composers League and the International Society for Contemporary Music. In this way we provide opportunities for international exposure to our members, and we ensure that there is a New Zealand presence at the festivals run by these organisations.
- CANZ makes financial and administrative contributions to national events such as the Nelson Composers Workshop, with help from Creative New Zealand and APRA.
- CANZ helps with specific one-off projects, such as the transfer of Douglas Lilburn’s electronic works to CD, or administering a New Zealand-Korea musical exchange.
- CANZ maintain a website of useful information for composers.
- CANZ publishes Canzona, an annual yearbook, and Canzonetta, a bi-monthly newsletter.
- CANZ presents two awards every year: the KBB Citation for Services to New Zealand Music, and the CANZ Trust Fund Award.
- CANZ also makes contributions to the composition community through our “behind-the-scenes” work, such as mediating in disputes, writing letters of support for various projects and making submissions on items of policy (such as music curricula).
- CANZ provides a network of contacts for getting involved in the New Zealand composition community, as well as the wider international community of composers.