Are you a production company making programs for a broadcaster?

Using music in television programs requires the approval from all copyright holders for all songs you wish to use. Television programs usually use a mix of production music, commercially released songs as well as music written specifically for use in program, such as titles music.

Using commercially released music in a television program

When using a commercially released songs  there are two copyrights to consider - the copyright in the musical work and the copyright in the sound recording.

There is a copyright embodied in the composition of the song, which includes the words, chords and melodies called the musical work (the words, the musical arrangement) and a copyright in the sound recording of that song. Often songs are written by someone other than the performer of the work.  

When re-recording a song, or creating a cover version for your program, while you may not need to obtain clearance for the original sound recording, you will still need to obtain permission to use the musical work.

We can seek quotes and administer licences for both copyrights on your behalf.  For more information regarding licencing an commercially released song for your ad, email us or call us on 0800 69 2772.

Using production music in a television program

Production Music is music specifically written and recorded to be used in all forms of audio and audiovisual productions.  Production Music tracks are pre-cleared for immediate use and cover both the sound recording and musical work copyrights. We have 'all you can eat' per-program rates available for television programs - prices for using production music are listed in the Rate Card.  For more information regarding using production music click here.

Using music specially composed in a television program

In most cases the rights you need to obtain to use specially composed music in your program will be included in the agreement between you and the commissioned composer. It is important to note that if you are re-recording a cover version of an existing song, you will still need to obtain permission to use the musical work. We can seek quotes and administer licences for cover versions on your behalf. 

For more information regarding licencing a cover version of a song for your program, email us or call us on 0800 69 2772.

Site Menu

Search the Website